Monday, March 10, 2008

Open Relationships.. Swing Swing Swing!

It was recently that I read with growing amazement about the lives of swinging couples.... people who I know (online). Most of them were very forthright and open about their "open relationships" even though they're married and have kids. It works for them, so they say, and I guess I'm left with no choice but to take their word for it. A lot of things about having an open relationship when there are kids involved bother me, and makes me wonder if these parents really care how it would affect their kids should they find out. One woman I know mentioned that she was disgusted and devastated when she found out her parents enjoyed an open relationship. To this day she has intimacy issues. I find it very sad, that carnal pleasures take precedence over the emotional well being of a child. Yet there are parents who manage to keep that part of their lives away from their children.

As far as the couples themselves, I don't see the point really if one's marriage vows include fidelity etc. Some people mentioned that their vows did not include those words, but hello?? that's just neither here nor there in my opinion. My vows did not include "I will not lie to you" so should I consider it OK to lie to my spouse? Neither did it include "I will clean the toilet you poop in"... but that's another post. ;)

I try to keep an open mind, to each their own, and if swinging is what makes some people happy, then good for them. While I feel I can judge a little, I certainly can't tell them how to live their lives, and I'm sure they're not all promiscuous just because they have "swinging" added to their sexual preferences. Maybe I need to see it a different way, who knows? But for now, I'm not spreading my legs for someone else's husband, while she waits it out with mine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok.. just the idea of sharing my husband with another woman grosses me out.. YUK! I'm right there with you... especially on that cleaning the toilet thing... I think we should add to the groom's vows "To love, honor, cherish and HELP with the housework" ;)

Anne said...

How about including "love, honor and a permanent housekeeper" ??? LOL

Anonymous said...

That works too.. as long as you can train that housekeeper to clean the way YOU like things to be cleaned.. you know.. a little bit of that OCD shining through... :)

Anne said...

There is no such thing as "a little bit" when it comes to my OCD... Stop being so polite about it. I'm a nut.. admit it. LMAO

. said...

Bravo girl! I couldn't agree more!

evel dread said...

amen! well said.